BREAKING: Female student dies in chemical incident at British university

22

Firefighters remove a plastic bin from student accommodation at Bournemouth UniversityLEON FLETCHER

EMERGENCY: Firefighters remove a plastic bin from student accommodation at Bournemouth Uni

Students were evacuated from halls in Poole, Dorset, after reports a flat contained dangerous chemicals at about 10.30pm on Thursday.

The woman’s body was removed from the student village in Gillett Road in the early hours of Friday.

Unconfirmed reports from the scene suggested flammable chemicals leaked – and there is the risk of a “chemical explosion”.

Firefighters in protective clothing removed a bin containing the hazardous materials.

A police cordon was also set up.

Police on the scene of a chemical incident at Bournemouth UniversityCOLETTE SPOARD

CORDON: Police have reportedly evacuated the area

“Residents of the premises were evacuated while the substances were removed”

Dorset Police

Josh Wilde, 18, a student at the university, told the Daily Star Online: “Apparently a policewoman said that there was a potential for a chemical explosion – and another one said that there is something flammable that is leaking.

“Some people from the immediate area were evacuated.”

An eyewitness said firefighters entered the student village at about 10.30pm.

A fire service incident support unit at Bournemouth UniveristyJOSH WILDE

RESPONSE: A fire service incident support unit at Bournemouth Univeristy

Josh added: “Around 9.30pm I saw flashing blue lights outside the window of my uni house.

“I went to investigate and saw three fire engines, including a fire and rescue service incident support unit.

“A large number of police turned up and cordoned off the area. We also saw an ambulance car.

“We asked one of the police officers what was going on and they said it was to do with dangerous chemicals.”

Firefighters carry a bin full off chemicals out of Bournemouth UniLEON FLETCHER

SAFETY: The firefighters spent about 10 minutes inside the building before removing the bin

A police spokesman said: “Dorset Police were informed of a death at Gillett Road in Poole.

“It was also reported that the property contained chemical substances.

“Dorset Police officers – together with Dorset Fire and Rescue Services – entered the address as a precaution.

“Residents of the premises were evacuated while the substances were removed.

“The death is not suspicious.

“Next of kin have been informed.”

MORE DETAILS TO FOLLOW

(Why?)

News Credit Goes To This Website

Loading...